This week Prime8 has been having his very own cabinet reshuffle. Realising that surrounding himself with rich, middle-aged monkeys didn’t appeal to a very wide demographic, he has now sacked them all and took on a broader, more diverse variety of animals as friends to, you know, look more ‘accessible’.
This was not a cynical move to get more subscribers though! No way! How dare you think that. It was always the plan and no way down to subscriber pressure.
Here’s this weeks web roundup…
The art of the side project
Google have long used their ‘20% rule’ (where employees can use 20% of work time on their own side projects) to boost creativity and productivity in the other 80%. Here’s a great synopsis of the benefits of having side projects in your company
Lazy email marketing is dead! Long live engagement!
Thankfully, the days of email bombardment marketing – you know, the throw-enough-poo-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks mentality – is over. In today’s ‘engagement is king’ world of social, businesses are having to quickly adapt their marketing strategies to stay relevant. Here’s some pointers to get you starting on creating engaging email conversations.
Rise of the UX Torturer
I love this, and not just because it’s written with more than a healthy dose of dry sarcasm either! A brilliant dissection (pun very much intended) of a horrible new trend of websites designed to annoy the hell out of their users with a barrage of pop-ups and upsells.
A beginners guide to (shudder) Facebook Ads
Regular readers to the Prime8 will know we don’t have much love for Facebook or it’s audience reach tools. But being monkeys of the people, we’re also just about big enough to know that startups and smaller companies can benefit from using Facebook. So here’s a beginners user guide to getting started using Facebook Ads. Now lets never speak of this again.
How Whatsapp went mega-big, mega well
A case study showing how Whatsapp have become a global tech player by staying true to their original ethos of ‘doing one thing well.’ We like Whatsapp we do.
When you think ‘gadget’ you think sleek, shiny, futuristic… cold? Here’s a look at a new wave of hand-crafted gadgets that is going against the grain to deliver ‘cozy technology’. We approve! Like… a lot.
GGA’s website of the week:
This site aims to raise awareness of the global rising of sea levels by using a very simple idea: overlaying Google Earth images of major cities with a flood animation, thus showing what the future may well have in store for us. Powerful stuff!
… and finally.
Prime8 is obviously geared towards tech-related stuff but sometimes it’s good to move away from that arena and look at the simple pleasures to be found in everyday objects. Ever wanted to make a water melon explode using just elastic bands? You will now…
Want to feel all smug and have the Prime8 delivered direct to your inbox every Saturday? Just go here and give us your email address. Oh go on, you know you want to.